I’m lifting this from my "Haunted Bend" post on my other blog from last year… thought it’d be fun to run here. So, just in time for Halloween, it’s a list of places that are allegedly haunted here in Bend (most of these are pulled from the Shadowlands Haunted Place Index for Oregon):
- The Deschutes County Historical Society building (the old Reid School): Supposedly the ghost of George Brosterhous, who died there in 1914, haunts the place.
- The McCann House: The subject of the only ghost story for Bend found in Ghosts and Strange Critters of Washington and Oregon. According to the Shadowlands site, "there have been a few families that have lived there that have either died or something tragic has happened to them due to living in the cursed house." I don’t know about cursed; the book simply mentions that sometimes figures are seen in the upper story windows, and gives a short history of it. Listed as the "Congress House" on the Shadowlands site because the house itself is on Congress Avenue.
- The O’Kane Building: There’s "ghostly smoke, weird lights, footsteps, and voices," and occasionally a voice that calls out orders in the restaurant.
- Old Mt. View Hospital: I’m not sure where this is, the site says it’s now an apartment building next to Drake Park. Floor creaks have been reporting, like someone’s walking around.
- The Old Smoke Stacks (Old Mill District): Teenagers would sneak in there at night to see if the place was haunted.
- The Pilot Butte Cemetery: Reports of ghostly blue orbs floating around.
- The Lara House Bed and Breakfast: Located on Congress Avenue, like the Congress House.
- The Downing Hotel building (current site of The Grove): Historically this was a brothel. Haunted by a woman?
Any others I’m unaware of?