Each year Commute Options Week helps commuters save gas, improve air quality and get some exercise by reducing miles traveled.
Combined, the 8,250 employees from 92 businesses who participated in the Commuter Challenge Monday through Friday from June 16-22, eliminated a record 46,390 motor vehicle miles from our local roads.
“Many of our challenge participants are year round partners but we had a lot of first-time challengers also which is encouraging” says Chloe Honaker, Commute Options Week Coordinator. A good example is Bank of the Cascades who registered all of its branches for the first time ever. “This was such an awesome opportunity to get the department involved in a shared interest, improve the health of our selves, our environment and to encourage continued mindful commuting. Thanks to our coordinator Cris and Commute Options for Central Oregon!” says Jaime Eichman in the Mortgage Center.
The following businesses were recognized for their outstanding efforts at our awards ceremony at the Deschutes Brewery Mountain Room on Tuesday, July 1st:
Extra small business category (5 employees or under)
- 1st place: 8-way first place tie with 100% participation: Bend Downtowners Association, Central Oregon Environmental Center, Commute Options, Wachs Studio, Volcano Vineyards, An Affair to Remember, KPOV Bend Community Radio and Cascade Couriers
- 2nd place: Riley’s Market & Pacific Crest Affordable Housing (tie)
- 3rd place: City of Bend Transit Division
Small business category (6-20 employees)
- 1st place: 3 way tie with 100% participation: Pine Mountain Sports, Footzone and Bend Cyclery.
- 2nd place: Contemporary Family Dentistry
- 3rd place: ReSource
Medium business category (21-100 employees)
- 1st place: the Blacksmith Restaurant
- 2nd place- 2 way tie between PV Powered and City of Bend Planning Division
- 3rd place: Whole Foods Market
Large business category (101-999)
- 1st place: Juniper Swim & Fitness Center
- 2nd place: Deschutes Brewery pub & plant
- 3rd place: COCC
Extra large business category (1000 or more)
St. Charles Medical Center
A record all-time high of 11 companies recorded 100% participation During Commute Options Week 2008 and dozens of individuals were honored for their efforts in the categories of Best First Time Effort, Most Dedicated during Commute Options Week or year round, and Most Unusual Commutes.
The annual Commute Options Week campaign is a vital resource for educating the Central Oregon community on better ways to use transportation, and ensures the region will continue to be a desirable place to live and work.
Commute Options for Central Oregon is a nonprofit organization serving Central Oregon. Commute Options promotes choices that reduce the impacts of driving alone.