Even though the 4th is on Saturday, there are things happening tomorrow (the 3rd) that I’m including on the list—since it’s a long holiday weekend for many of us. Here are a bunch of events happening:
- First Friday Art Walk (July 3rd): Downtown hosts the monthly event where the galleries stay open late and often offer refreshments and music. 5 to 9pm.
- "Independence Day" showing at Tower Theatre (July 3rd): Yes, it’s the 1996 alien-blow-em-up movie on the big screen at the Tower, with 9 minutes of "special edition" footage. It’s only $5—a great price for a move—and starts at 8pm.
- The Pet Parade: The perennial favorite parade where people bring their favorite pets (no cats or rabbits!) to march through downtown. More details here, including a parade map. I’ll definitely be there. 10am.
- Old Fashioned 4th of July in Drake Park: After the Pet Parade, Drake Park hosts the Old Fashioned Celebration for the 4th, from 11am to 4pm. Lots of craft vendors, food booths, games and activities for kids. The Saturday Market vendors will be down in Drake Park for this, too (not at their usual spot across the street from the Library).
- Friends of the Bend Library Book Sale: From 10 until 4pm, the Library always has their Summer Book Sale on the 4th and as always there are great deals to be found. It’s at the Library Administration Building, in the basement.
- 10th Annual Firecracker 100 Bicycle Ride with WebCyclery: "It’s our metric century ride to Prineville. Maps and good food stops are included for $15 – with proceeds benefiting Partners in Care (formerly HospiceCenter and Central Oregon Home Health & Hospice)."
- Bend Elks Baseball: The Bend Elks are playing the Corvallis Knights at Vince Genna Stadium. Starting at 5:30pm.
- The Freedom Ride: I don’t see a specific starting time on their Facebook page, but last year’s Freedom Ride started at 2pm from Pioneer Park. Get on your bike and join the Ride through downtown Bend.
- Sound Fourth Community Concert: This free concert starts at 3pm at the Bend High Auditorium, followed by a free barbecue on the First Presbyterian Church lawn.
- Deschutes Historical Society Ice Cream Social and Free Day: The Historical Society Museum opens up free to the public from 10am until 4pm, and they give away free ice cream to all comers.
- Maragas Winery 4th of July Weekend Bash: The 4th and the 5th, from 11am to 5pm, Maragas has their weekend bash and wine tasting going on out at their Culver winery (actually just north of the Crooked River Bridge). Live music, food, and wine for $10.
- Redmond 4th of July: They have a parade starting downtown at 10am, and their fireworks display starting at dusk (9pm-ish) at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds.
- LaPine Frontier Days: Through the weekend, starting on the 3rd, it’s the LaPine Independence Day celebration. Arts, a carnival, food, live music—the works. Don’t forget the fireworks at 10pm.
- BBQ & Blues at Jake’s Diner: The fifth annual BBQ presented by Jake’s and the Vietnam Veterans of America (with proceeds going to the VVA) goes from 6 to 8pm. You’re welcome to stay and watch the Pilot Butte fireworks, but don’t bring any fireworks or alcohol.
- Pilot Butte Fireworks: Of course! This starts at 10pm and lasts about 20 minutes. Find a good view of the Butte and wait for the
firesshow to start.