Bend is hosting the Cyclocross National Championships next week, and in conjunction with that Visit Bend and Cross Culture are sponsoring the Cross Culture Arts Festival, celebrating bike art and culture, taking place December 9th through 11th.
Cross Culture: Bike + Art Love 2010 is an arts celebration created to coincide with ‘Cross Nats with an expanded effort that includes local businesses, Oregon artists, and collaborative multi-media experiences for all cycling enthusiasts.
The Cross Culture art walk pairs bike-centric artists with Bend businesses inviting opportunities to meet the artist while enjoying a festive atmosphere from 5-9pm Friday, December 10th.
Artwalk plans include:
- ArtCrank (a bike poster art show): We are thrilled to bring this nationally recognized event to Bend during Cyclocross Nationals! Charles Youel is the art director and curator. Check out their Bend event page at http://www.artcrankpostershow.com/bend/
- Spoke-N-Word Series: a storytelling event with participation opportunities for everyone. We will have two event offerings including portello in NorthWest crossing on Thursday and The Oxford Hotel on Friday. Elise Bartow and Jamie Houghton (Nature of Words) are leading this effort.
- A Community Art Walk on December 10th will include the following special exhibits
- Welcome to Bend Zine project (Bike Edition!) will be launched by Laura Walker in a joint exhibit with local photographer Bridget McGinn at Common Table
- PDX Cross + Handmade Bike Exhibit in the Liberty Theatre building downtown (next to Foot Zone).
- Thump Coffee is planning on going big with Vanilla + Cielo Handmade Bicycles, Art by Central Oregon Cycling Race Photography by Paul Carew and Biomorphic Cyclocross Bicycle Paintings by Jo Lundberg
- The PoetHouse Art collective is also planning a special exhibit.
- Mockingbird Gallery will have a special exhibit featuring Ken Roth and Nate Praska
- Hot Box Betty will feature the art of photographer Tambi Lane and painter Nikki Hoke Horner
- Commute Options is curating a youth and commuter art exhibit at Bellatazza. Brian Potwin is spearheading this effort.
- Indie Craft Loft will offer an array of renegade craft arts, including one-of-a-kind contemporary creations by local artists. 10a – 7p on Saturday and 10a – 5p Sunday at Gossamer Knitting in the Mill Quarter.
- Additional Youth Activities
- Arts Central and René Mitchell are offering Paint + Pedal at Art Station on Friday, December 10 from 10 a.m. – 2p.m.. Activities that will include cowbell painting, flag making and poster decorating which may all be used to cheer on their favorite racers competing in cyclocross championships. Cost is $5 per family.
- Bend Endurance Academy is a planning a youth Bike Rodeo for Saturday, location is tbd.
Yoga for Cyclists: Uma Kleppinger will be offering Free and Premium Classes in a variety of locations during Cyclocross nationals.