What with the website issues I was having this week I didn’t get to posting this sooner, but not only is today the official first day of Oktoberfest but it’s also (not so coincidentally) the big day for Oktoberfest celebrations in Bend.
The annual Bend Oktoberfest (now in its 9th year) kicked off last night and goes into full swing today, taking over Oregon Avenue in downtown Bend from noon to 10pm (and it’s 21 and over after 5pm). Offering up all sorts of traditional Bavarian food, drink, and fun, they have a bunch of unique offerings you’ll not find elsewhere. Here’s the schedule:
- 12:00-6:00pm: OnPoint Community Credit Union Family Fest Family fun including bouncy houses, Medieval swordplay, games, wiener dog races, treats, & much more!
- 12:30pm: Oompah music continues with The Mirko Pressler Band
- 12:30pm: The DoubleTree by Hilton Oktoberfest Games continue with Medieval Swordplay – watch costumed sword players fight
- 1:30pm: Natural Edge Furniture Hammerschlagen – Race to hammer a nail for prizes!
- 1:30pm: Hutch’s Bicycles Tricycle Races – Get on a tiny trike & ride!
- 3:00pm: The Home Federal Bank Wiener Dog Parade – (cheer on your favorite pup as they proceed to the starting line!)
- 3:00pm: Deschutes Veterinary Clinic Wiener Dog Race registration opens – Sign your dog up to run!
- 4:00pm: Deschutes Veterinary Clinic Wiener Dog Races – Watch as dozens of dogs from @ the west race!
- 5:00pm: Natural Edge Furniture Hammerschlagen – Race to hammer a nail for prizes!
- 5:30pm: Oompah music continues with The Mirko Pressler Band
- 6:00pm: Family Fest closes, 6pm-10pm open to 21+ attendees
- 7:00pm: Barker Group NW Costume contest – OVER $200 IN PRIZES!
- 7:45pm: Oompah music continues with The Mirko Pressler Band
- 8:30pm: Phat Matt’s Brewing Stein Holding Competition – Show us your muscles for prizes!
- 8:45pm: Oompah music continues with The Mirko Pressler Band – Main Stage area – Oregon Avenue & Wall Street
The Bend Oktoberfest is free to attend though of course food and drink will cost you.
And over at McMenamins Old St. Francis School today, their own Oktoberfest at Old St. Francis is taking place all day as well, providing a good accompaniment to Downtown Bend’s fest. It’s also free to attend, and their free music begins at 1:
- 1–3 p.m. · High Fives Polka Band at O’Kanes Square
- 3:30–6:30 p.m. · McDougall at O’Kanes Square
- 7–10 p.m. · Tony Smiley at Father Luke’s
Look to accompany your oom-pah music with German food and plenty of beer including Old St. Francis’ own Autumn Moon Oktoberfest on tap.
It’s a good day to head downtown if you’re in a festing mood!