The Santa Express is the food and clothing drive held by the Bend Fire Department each year to help those in need during the holiday season. This year, in addition to BFD volunteers, they have help from a local 4H group, Girl Scout Troup 50811, and students from Bend High. The Santa Express kicks off next Monday, December 8, and if it comes to your neighborhood (or even if it doesn’t), consider donating food, clothing, and/or new toys.
Here’s the full release:
With the down turn in the economy comes more need for support of local food banks and charities, and The Salvation Army is no different. In 2013, The Salvation Army and Santa Express collected nearly 3,500 lbs. of food plus much needed clothing and toys to help those in need here in Bend. Anything and everything helps, even if it’s one can of food or a small toy that donation will go a long ways to providing a good dinner and a nice gift on Christmas and a smile on a child’s face Christmas morning. The Salvation Army would like to express the need for gifts to be given to teenage age kids as well. Please partner with Bend Fire Department in showing the community they are not forgotten this holiday season.
Bend Fire Department’s Santa Express food and clothing drive is heading into Bend Neighborhoods Monday, December 8th through Thursday, December 11 th. The Bend Firefighter’s Association and Bend Fire Department are working with The Salvation Army to collect non-perishable food items, clothing, and toys (new toys are preferred) for families in need in the Bend and Central Oregon area. Neighborhood residents are encouraged to listen for the fire engine and Santa, and bring donations to the street for collection. There will be many volunteers walking along with Santa and the fire engines to collect the donated items. Please advise children to use caution around the moving fire engines.
The Santa Express schedule is as follows:
(maps are available on the City of Bend website here)
- Monday, December 8: Larkspur, Foxborough and Sun Meadow
- Tuesday, December 9: Skyliner Summit and NW Crossing
- Wednesday, December 10: Providence, areas North and South of Neff Road.
- Thursday, December 11 : Yardley Estates, McCall Landing, Wishing Well and Majestic
If we don’t come through your neighborhood you can always drop off non-perishable foods, new toys or clothing to: (Boxes will be in place until Friday December 12, 2014)
- Bend Fire Department Fire Stations
- Bend Memorial Clinics – Old Mill on SW Bond St and Eastside on Neff Road
- Ed Wyse Beauty Supply – 1180 S Hwy 97 #B
- Pappy’s Pizza – 20265 Fred Meyer Rd.
- Goulart Chiropractic – 424 NE Franklin Ave
- The Salvation Army – 515 NE Dekalb Ave.
- Starbucks – Westside on Century Dr., Downtown, across from Fred Meyers, Cascade Village
- Shopping Center and East side on 27th St.
- Wholesale Sports – 63492 Hunnell Rd.