On Wednesday, January 31, Tetherow Resort‘s Brewery Smackdown series of beer and food pairing events returns for its third year. Not only food and beer pairing, but a people’s choise-style competition where two breweries from Portland, Ecliptic Brewing and Ancestry Brewing, square off against the reigning champions, Crux Fermentation Project and Silver Moon Brewing, in a five course blind tasting of beers.
Here is the press release which includes the menu:
At the end of January, Central Oregon’s premier resort, Tetherow, will host its third annual Brewery Smackdown, where Portland breweries will challenge Bend’s finest to an ultimate pairing competition.
The Jan. 31 event is the first in a series of beer showdowns at Tetherow. The inaugural Brewery Smackdown will take place from 5:30 p.m. through 10 p.m. at the Tetherow Event Pavilion. It will pit reigning Central Oregon champions Crux Fermentation Project and Silvermoon against the Rose City’s Ancestry Brewing and Ecliptic Brewing.
Prior to the Brewery Smackdown, Tetherow chefs meet with brewers to sample the menu and select which beer pair best with each dish. Over the course of five rounds, it’s up to guests, brewers and distributors to crown a winner. Each guest receives a dish prepared by Tetherow’s culinary team and two blind beer tasters. After each course, they select the beer that paired best with the dish.
The Tetherow Smackdown menu includes:
- Round 1: “Oregon War” Wonton Soup Oregon lamb and mushroom dumpling with herb slaw in tangy bonito broth
- Round 2: Chicken Cacciatore “Hunters Chicken” Chicken drum prepared with spicy tomato sauce and olives over Israeli couscous
- Round 3: Pickled Grape Tartare with arugula, pine nuts, cotija and San Francisco sourdough crostini
- Round 4: Kurobuta Pork Shank with manchego polenta, fried garbanzo, Oregon hazelnuts and smoked tomato salad
- Round 5: Cardamom Cordial Tartlet with Oregon cherries and whipped ganache
The winners of the Jan. 31 Brewery Battles will go head to head against a new set of breweries at the next event in late March.
No idea what the beers are yet, but for a blind tasting we probably shouldn’t know ahead of time anyway. This should be a fun event, and it’s going to be a long night—from 5:30 to 10pm. Be sure to get your tickets soon if you’re planning to attend, these events have sold out quickly in past years.