In addition to the article about the influx of five(!) new breweries to the area, this week is also a big beer week for Bend, primarily because of the Bend Brewfest that kicks off Thursday. There’s a bunch of other beer events happening this week too, so here’s the rundown:
- The Bend Brewfest: This is the big one, which starts this Thursday the 15th and runs through Saturday the 17th, and takes over the Les Schwab Amphitheater in the Old Mill District. Hours are 3 to 11pm Thursday and Friday and noon to 11pm on Saturday. Kids (and dogs) are welcome until 7pm each night, and admission is free—though to drink beer you’ll need to purchase your mug for $12 (which includes the first four tasting tokens). Additional $1 tokens (good for a taste each) are available in $5 blocks of five. With 64 breweries (and wineries, meaderies, and cideries) on hand pouring a huge variety of beers, you will definitely be able to find something you like! Also: don’t miss the X-Taps or the Brewtality Tent!
- Today, both Growler Guys locations have special beer events happening:
- On the Eastside, they are tapping a special firkin (cask) of beer from Firestone Walker, which will be going from 4 to 7pm. Because it’s a cask, it’s naturally carbonated and that means if it isn’t finished within a day or two (tops!) it won’t last. Make sure to swing by and get some!
- On the Westside, Eugene’s Oakshire Brewing is in the house meeting fans and pouring some of their excellent beers. The action over west runs from 5 to 7pm so there’s plenty of time to hit both GGs!
- Meanwhile, the Platypus Pub also has a beer tasting and meet the brewer event going on tonight, featuring Hood River’s pFriem Family Brewers from 6 to 8pm: “Please join us Tuesday, August 13th at 6:00 p.m as we welcome in Josh pFriem from pFriem Family Brewers for a tasting. We will have their Pilsner and Topaz single hop Pale Ale on tap and Josh will be bringing other varieties as well.”
- 10 Barrel Brewing has a big event coming up tomorrow, Wednesday the 14th, that you won’t want to miss: their first-ever IPA Fest aka “Battle of the Beer Cities” taking place at their Galveston pub from 4 to 10pm. Breweries from up and down the west coast will have IPAs represented (16 in all!) and you can vote on for them to select your favorites. You’ll need to purchase the tasting glass and tokens ($1 each), and this should be a great pre-game for the Brewfest kicking off Thursday.
- Also on Wednesday, Oakshire Brewing will still be in town and is teaming up with Blue Pine Kitchen and Bar to put on a big five-course beer dinner starting at 6pm. The cost is $50 and you can buy tickets online here, as well as see the menu; it might sound a little expensive but really, that’s a good deal—and beer dinners are fun!
- Wednesday finally rounds out with Broken Top Bottle Shop hosting a beer tasting with Firestone Walker (they who brought the firkin to the Growler Guys). Firestone Walker makes some excellent beer so I’m sure they’ll have a great showing at BTBS; the tasting runs from 6 to 9pm.
- And back over at the Growler Guys (eastside) on Thursday, they’ll be hosting California’s Anderson Valley Brewing Company for a meet and drink event from 5 to 7pm. Expect to taste some good beers and find even more on tap to fill your growlers!